Remembering the 60's & 70's

The other night I had a great time flashing back to the good old days of my youth with fellow tweeters @bstrung @preskittgurl @Tuckertown @dgdreamin @mscator @DawnFine @LRockwellatty and @JKissnHug. I really had a great time remembering all the crazy and weird things I did and saw in the late '60s thru the 70's. Ahhhh what a time that was!

Anyway, I had so much fun I thought it might be cool to set up a blog for people to take that 'bad trip' back in time and share some of the stuff from the good old days!

I can't remember when I was so lost in the past and I must say that it took my mind off of today's troubles for a couple of hours. Really fun! It also taught me how far we have come in such a short time. Back then there were no cell phones, speaking of which, has anyone seen a phone booth lately? How about a rotary phone dialer?

Computers with 12k core memory took up an entire floor in an office building! I know, the first computer I worked on was an IBM 360. It was in a glass enclosed room of about 1500 sq feet, right at the entrance of the corporate headquarters, so everybody could see!

Please leave your comments so others may reminisce!


Let me get it started (I hope) with:

Remember when:
7-11's where open from 7:00am to 11:00pm - Very big doings back then!

Or

You had to check the tubes in your TV set, AT 7-11!




Clapton is God!
Bell Bottom Blues 1973

15 Response to "Remembering the 60's & 70's"

  1. dAwN May 28, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    I wore a mini..and fishnet stockings..Yikes.
    a 60s Ford mustang fastback was my first car.
    Camera with film..the kind with the holes on the side when developed.
    Black and white tv..Loved to watch Ed Sullivan as a kid, smothers brothers, bandstand,

    Rotary phone..holy cow..
    ok theres more..but i am tired from traveling hours upon hours last night and my brain is fried..
    will come back again.
  2. DW Maiden May 28, 2010 at 7:00 PM
    Ford Mustang! Wow! I'm doing a website for a guy who is trying to sell a 66 'stang for a little over $100,000.00!

    The first show I saw in color was Bonanzza(sp?). The NBC peacock BLEW ME AWAY the first time I saw it! The whole neighborhood was invited to the house with the color TV to watch the Rose Bowl game that year!
  3. Bonnie Jacobson May 28, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    I remember when sit-coms on TV were nearly the entire 30-minute block and a TV remote was your mom asking you to get up and change the channel. When the first remotes came out, they were the size of a brick and you could hear the button click all over the house.
  4. DW Maiden May 28, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    Our first remote worked on air power. Yes, air. It had a plundger thing (the remote) that you squeezed, that would force air through a tube that would physically turn the channel selector! Crude but effective!
  5. Kerry May 28, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    Radio growing up with Lone Ranger, Shadow, Rin Tin Tin, etc. No TV. First Motorcycle was a Tote Goat. First car was a Hillman Minx. Grew up with the end of Love Ins. Travelled around Canada and US on a Motorcycle. Flew around West Coast with BC Forest Products Logging. Played around in a couple of really bad movies no one ever saw and took pictures of animals with Browning and a 110 Kodak to start. Took up Sailing and Scuba Diving in teens was eventfull. Had Beatle Boots. Did some plays did not get to Broadway...lol. And though many find it hard to believe I played in a couple of bands and also sang in a couple of Choirs. That is all I will admit without torture. Like don't trust the man man.
  6. gailr May 29, 2010 at 5:38 AM
    My 1st computer was a $500 '70s Radio Shack TRS-80 that used a cassette tape recorder for magnetic storage. Monitor was B&W. No Windows GUI back then, we used DOS Basic. I enjoyed DOS, seemed like doing puzzles to me (instead of just clicking on pictures/graphics, as now)
  7. gailr May 29, 2010 at 5:49 AM
    Geez! Lots of similarities & shared memories! My 1st car was a green 1969 Ford Mustang fastback with hood scoop & racing stripes, bought new with no trade-in for $3,600

    Also had a Kodak 110, & B&W Polaroid that shot out the photos you had to "grease stick", Beatle boots. Not only remember rotary phones BUT also pre-rotary dial-less phones when you talked to an actual human operator. My phone # then (mid-to-late-1950s) was 974M2 & my best friend's was 917J1. Also era of party lines when you could pick up your phone & hear others' conversations. Many of the operators DID sound like Lily Tomlin! Num-bah, pleeeeeze! 1st color TV show I saw was "Daniel Boone" with Fess Parker. Had to adjust the color for every show & every commercial.
  8. DW Maiden May 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    I forgot about the party lines! We had one that we called the pipeline. Sort like the start of twitter. Only analog!
  9. Sharon M May 29, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    About 1972 we were the first family around to have a tiny car called a Toyota. None of my friends had ever heard of them before. I remember odd and even number days at the gas station. I remember when TV stations signed off for the night and ran the test pattern until morning. There weren't ever any stores open on Sundays, and we used to mail our film somewhere and wait a week or so to get it developed. All good times. I loved the 70's.
  10. DW Maiden May 29, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    Sharon;
    I remember all those now that you bring it up! When I saw the first Honda it look like a toy! Remember the Datsun? My first car was a Toyota Corolla. $1,200 right off the showroom floor!

    I worked the graveyard shift back then and had to take all my food because everything was closed by 11:00pm.

    And TV.... 4 stations total oh, and a few PBS stations. NBC had Johnny Carson till 1:00am then Tomorrow with Tom Snyder till 2. Then the National Anthem and a test pattern the rest of the night! Oh the good old days! I used to get off work and go to the gas station and sleep while waiting in line for gas! (on even days!)
  11. Sharon M May 29, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    DW - I remember the Datsun, and I think that Toyota we had was a Corolla!
  12. Andjelija May 29, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    DISCO!! Motown! Bell bottom pants. Platform boots. Hippies, Peace and Love MAN. Weed (not me lol) Woodstock. 'Happy Days', Farrah Fawcett hair lol Stores closed on Sundays, and weekdays at 6pm. Kids were hardly ever inside the house, always out riding a bike or hanging with friends in the FRESH air. Coal fires were banned (from my town anyway). Violence, pollution, what's that? High rise buildings were few and far between, and wildlife still had homes to go to.

    Wish I'd been at your party, sounds like it was a lot of fun.
  13. Unknown May 29, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    Andjelija, you have it nailed! I must admit I did have the Farrah Fawcett poster!

    We did have a lot of fun! I haven't thought of all those weird things I did in a long, long time! Really helped me 'get away' for a while!
  14. Andjelija May 29, 2010 at 5:10 PM
    haha I think a lot of guys had her over their beds lol. Me, I had David Cassidy and Donny Osmond - OMG eeeeeeeeeeeks lol

    Things were definitely very different back then. I miss it.
  15. Jan Thompson May 30, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    Aaaah the memories, my first car was a little VW bug, gas was 32 cents a gallon. Learning the dance from Saturday Night Fever.
    Back in the 60' I remember where I was when we hear that President Kennedy had been shot, and then his brother. The Vietnam war was the constant on the news. I was a new mother wondering what was to come of the world. Look how far we have come. Now I drive a Corvette. I use to hate seeing old people driving sports cars...now I am one. Eek!

Post a Comment